something I posted elsewhere for Peel day (13/10/2006)

(originally posted on a message board or two and on livejournal)

thanks to Peel for his Radio Times column (my first exposure to him), the good parts of Home Truths (there were some, honest ) and being resposible for me hearing (and in some cases actually getting) Shipbuilding (Robert Wyatt), Chumbawamba (my first real awareness of them beyond Tubthumping and the other commercial radio freindly songs) - both via the Peelenium.

The Ramones (I Wanna Be Sedated is still my favourite Ramones song), a happy hardcore/"trash techno" version of Without You, Half Man Half Biscuit (first song I heard on his show - was their Turn a Blind Eye), Captain Beefhart live, the White Stripes covering Beefhart (off an obscure vinyl single before most of the world had heard of them) better than a rebroadcast arround the same time 60's Beefhart session that somebody had taped off the radio at the time and sent back to him (it was shit), the White Stripes live at Peel Acres. The Fall - did he play Mark E Smith talking word thing (IIRC had somebody reporting seing vision and the repeated comment about how they weren't dreaming or stoned) or was that someone else?
getting to hear The Blossom Toes, My White Bicycle, & Syd/floyd (Astrominy Domine) in the late 90's/early 00's (part of a feature of playing songs from his last perfumed garden show), various dub/reggae records including Armageddion Time(non-clash), Tram, Jeffrey Lewis, Jeff Mills...

Songs that sounded better at the wrong speed, songs that sounded wrong at both speeds, songs that were just plan wrong (Abba in Hindi anyone? )
and that's just what I remember - and I was only listening from arround July '98 to October 04.

Leave a Reply

About Me

HFA music & sci-fi geek, obsessive collecter, and occasional zinester. links: jenna-appleseed.livejournal.com (meta mostly abandoned) twitter.com/hrzine (eta 2: mostly abandoned twitter) http://hrzine.110mb.com/ (eta 3: dead link) eta 4: Most of the blogs connected via my profile are empty or long abandoned